Zoning Laws & Accommodation

Below you will find links to websites and documents that will help you find direction and support as a person with a disability needing access and as a zoning professional needing to accommodate. Please share with those you feel may benefit from this information.

Centers for Independent Living

Centers for Independent Living (CIL) are non-profit organizations, supported by local, state and federal dollars, whose purpose is to support citizens with disabilities as they endeavor to remain or become independent and contributing members of their communities.

Centers for Independent Living are responsible for providing four Core Services: Information and Referral, Advocacy, Independent Living Skills Training and Peer Support. A CIL should be able to help you with every aspect of life when disability becomes a part of it. Most of the people working at a Center are people living with disabilities, able to provide real answers to real questions. These organizations should be your first point of contact for direction and support.

Unfortunately, Centers for Independent Living only serve half of the 88 counties in Ohio. This said, most CILs will help people outside of their service areas to find information. You can find the Ohio CIL nearest you by reviewing the list below.

Independent Living Centers in Ohio

Locating Your Zoning Office

While the information included here is meant to provide you with basic zoning resources, you should contact your local zoning office for specific details. You can usually find zoning offices by searching your city or county website.

Helpful Handouts