1. Through a Difference Lense – Downloadable Accessibility Checklist. Take the accessibility challenge – are you “go to” spots welcoming to all?.
2. Start a Book Club – Visit our list of materials designed to cover all things disability.
3. Advocate for public transportation– Use this script to call your local legislations to share why public transportation matters to you.
4. Volunteer for a ramp build - Bring of groups of friends or co-workers to build a ramp for someone in our community.
5. Host a sensory room – Welcome kids and adults with different abilities to feel welcomed and supported.
6. Subscribe to the podcast – Explore people, places, and spaces that are disability friendly in our community.
9. Bring Ability Center history boards to your event/host at your business.
10. Sign up for an inclusive local sports program
Training: All public facing staff will participate in hands-on disability awareness training designed to help staff deliver the best service possible to guests with disabilities.
Podcast: The Disability Dialog podcast will be produced at the Main Toledo library and will offers listeners informative, educational, and though-provoking episodes covering
The City of Toledo will collaborate with regional partners to stress the importance of an accessible city and the impact it has on its citizens.
Toledo Metroparks has ingrained accessibility in their organizational culture and will continue to incorporate design features that work for everyone.
A business designed to connect people to jobs, the Employers’Association will focus on employment projects that result in real career opportunities for people with disabilities.
The Minor League Baseball organization will continue to take an affirmative approach to hiring people with disabilities. The Mud Hens will also team up with The Ability Center to host a summer celebration in recognition of the 30th anniversary of the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act on July 26, 2020.
The University of Toledo launched a first-of-its-kind bachelor’s degree in disability studies that expands the understanding of disability in practical application. They have introduced a Disability Studies Certificate Program now enrolling students in the field of policy, education, advocacy, compliance, medical and allied health, engineering and design, humanities and social sciences.