Founding of the Center
The Ability Center of Greater Toledo began as a Rotarian dream.
Established in December 1920 as the Toledo Society for Crippled Children, we began raising community funds to build a hospital/rehabilitation facility for children (and, later, adults) with polio. With an initial gift of $50,000 from Edward Drummond Libbey and his wife, Florence Scott Libbey, and strong support from the community, Opportunity Home became a reality in 1937. We served the area as a hospital, which included a school for the children who spent so much time recovering from polio, until the advent of the Salk vaccine in the mid-1950s. For all of this time, the hospital was located in what is now Lake Erie Academy on Central Avenue.
Scenes from the Past…
These are historical photos from The Ability Center’s past as a rehabilitation facility for children.