Mission, Vision & Values
We believe in and support equitable and inclusive communities for people living with disabilities.
To assist people with disabilities to live, work, and socialize within a fully accessible community.
Our Core Values
We believe in consumer control and community inclusion
- People with disabilities serve in leadership positions at The Ability Center.
- We facilitate collaborative efforts between people with and without disabilities to remove barriers to equal opportunity and community inclusion.
We believe in advocacy
- We have a commitment to changing systems, public policies and attitudes that prevent people with disabilities from living, working and socializing in their communities.
We believe in delivering best practice programs
- We strive to provide the highest quality independent living programs and services based upon national independent living standards as well as local consumer needs and satisfaction.
We believe in establishing high expectations for success among people with disabilities
- The Center expects program participants to establish goals and achieve independent living success.
- We work to change attitudes so the general public can raise their expectations of persons with disabilities.
We believe in the power of partnerships and positive public relations
- Local businesses, as well as community organizations and government agencies are important partners as we work to create fully accessible communities.
- We assist individuals with disabilities and their families to tell their stories in an effort to increase awareness and remove barriers in the community.